Recipe by Montana Heart Song
In Japan, children would eat soy cookies or crackers, not sweet but very salty with the taste of soy sauce. My son hated the taste of a sweet cookie for a while, only wanted his soy cookies.This is my revised recipe. This taste is not for everyone but you might like it.
Top Review by Krsi Sue
Mamasan - -These are delicious - -crunchy! It's a good idea to mix with your hands. I tried mixing with a potato masher, but resorted to my hands. I made them too thick on the first batch, so cooking time was longer. I used a glass dipped in rice flour to squish them the 2nd time and they turned out just perfect with the cooking time being exactly what you listed. On another batch, I mixed wasabi paste in the soy mixture for a little bite. This would be great with dashimoto sprinkled on during the final cooking. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 473.18 ml cooked rice, one day old (or more)
- 118.29 ml Crisco shortening
- 236.59 ml rice flour, plus
- 29.58 ml rice flour
- 4.92 ml salt or 4.92 ml salt substitute
- 14.78 ml baking powder
- 19.71 ml sugar or 19.71 ml sugar substitute
- 59.16-73.94 ml cold water
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- Pam cooking spray
- 78.07 ml Kikkoman soy sauce
- 14.79 ml margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl, mix 1 cup rice flour, salt, baking powder and splenda.
- In large bowl, add cooked rice and shortening. Mix with a fork, mash the rice in the shortening. Use your fingers if it is easier.
- Pour in the dry rice flour mixture, a little at a time and mix each time.
- Add 1 tblsp cold water each time.
- The rice dough mixture should be moist.
- Add the vanilla and mix well. I use my hands.
- Preheat oven 375*.
- Squeese, knead and press with your hands.
- Let the dough rest at least 10 minutes.
- Take 1 tsp of dough, roll it in your hands and press down on the baking trays.It can be round in shape or elongated, either way, it is flattened.Use the back of the teaspoon to press it down.
- Note: I use the 2 tblsp rice flour to dust my hands.
- You will have many round or elongated flat crackers. The crackers will rise. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Heat soy sauce and margarine.Then brush soy sauce mixture on the top. Finish cooking about 8 minutes. The soy sauce will make the crackers brown and harden on top.
- Take a spatula and take one out and check the bottom, if it is slightly browned on the bottom it is done. Let cool and air dry.
- If you live in a humid region, you must put in air tight container. They will not stay crisp. You will have to crisp in the oven again. Make sure they are very very flat.