1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I have made cabbage rolls many times and was always disappointed until I made them this way. The most delicious recipe, hands down. I will never use another one. The Hunt's and the gingersnaps are essential. If the sauce needs thinning use a little apple juice. I serve these with pierogi, polish cucumber salad and poppy seed dinner rolls.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large head green cabbage
- 1 large onion, ground
- 1 lb vegetarian beef substitute (or ground veggie burger)
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup mushroom, ground
- 1 slice bread, soaked in milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil.
- 2Plunge cored head of cabbage in the water cooking about 5 minutes on each side, using tongs to turn.
- 3While cabbage is cooking, prepare other ingredients.
- 4In a large bowl, mix onion, vegetarian beef, rice, mushrooms, bread w/ milk, egg, ketchup and spices.
- 5Mix well.
- 6When cabbage is done, let cool for 5 minutes.
- 7When ready to use, carefully peel back outer leaves and fill with about 2 Tablespoons of filling.
- 8Roll the leaves up as you would for a burrito or an envelope, making sure you secure all the filling but not overly tight.
- 9Carefully place rolls closely together in a large pot, packing them tightly until all the filling is used up.
- 10Put the onion with cloves in the pot.
- 11Pour tomato sauce and broth over the rolls and bring to a bubble.
- 12Lower heat to low and simmer one hour, covered.
- 13Add lemon juice, brown sugar and ginger snaps gently incorporating into the sauce (use a baster if you need) and let simmer for another 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Golabki (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (486 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.4
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 85.7 mg
- Sodium 1928.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.9 g
- Sugars 33.2 g
- Protein 26.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian beef substitute