Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
My grandfather's recipe. My grandfather was famous for his garden and his cooking with the vegetables from his garden. He even made the local newspaper with a page of his recipes. This is taken directly from the newspaper article.
- 8 small bell peppers
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Clean peppers and boil for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce and bring to boil till it starts to thicken, remove from heat.
- Fill Peppers and put 1 tablespoon sauce on top of each.
- Bake uncovered 40 minutes at 350°F.
- Then put 1 tablespoon sauce on top and bake for 5 minutes more.
- Served with mashed potatoes or rice.
- Put the extra sauce on the table.