Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Easy to prepare shrimp dish good enough for company. Most of the ingredients are probably on hand. Serve over rice or couscus.
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 green onions, sliced (optional)
- Heat 1 Tbs vegetable oil in skillet over med hi heat.
- Stir fry carrots, onion and garlic for 4 minutes.
- Whisk together water, vinegar soy sauce, brown sugar and cayenne.
- Pour into skillet and bring to a boil.
- Add shrimps, cook for 3 minutes or until pink.
- Whisk cornstarch with 1 Tbs water, add to skillet and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with green onions.
I added some bell peppers because I had an abundance from my garden and I usually love them in a sweet and sour dish. But it was the sauce that I really did not care for very much. It had a small bite from the cayenne, but seemed otherwise awfully bland - with no sweet or sour that I could detect.
Very tasty, easy to make. My husband, who is generally apathetic about all food, gave this two thumbs up.