Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
My recipe for a delicious red cabbage side dish with tart apple, red wine vinegar and spices. Bacon lovers can replace the butter with fat from sauteed chopped bacon. This recipe may be halved, for 4-5 servings.
- 1 cored red cabbage (finely shredded, or chopped)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 slices chopped bacon
- 1 tart apple, cored, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- fresh ground sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground white pepper, to taste
- NOTE: IF HALVING THE RECIPE, THE PROPER AMOUNTS OF SUGAR AND VINEGAR SHOULD BE 8 TEASPOONS (2 TABLESPOONS PLUS 2 TEASPOONS). CABBAGE MAY BE SHREDDED OR CHOPPED USING A FOOD PROCESSOR. (STEP ONE): CORE and shred (or chop) the red cabbage.
- PEEL and core the apple, then chop finely; PEEL and chop one small onion.
- SQUEEZE enough lemons to yield 2 tablespoons juice, if using fresh (bottled juice okay).
- MELT butter in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat.
- ADD cabbage and cook until just softened, stirring often (or, cook 4 slices chopped bacon in skillet until crisp, then begin sauteeing cabbage).
- ADD the apple, onion and sugar, then continue cooking 5 minutes.
- ADD the remaining ingredients.
- COVER and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- ADJUST seasoning to taste and accompany with with a pork or beef main course.
- SERVE and enjoy!