1/1 Photo of Sweet & Sour Spiced Red Cabbage
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for a delicious red cabbage side dish with tart apple, red wine vinegar and spices. Bacon lovers can replace the butter with fat from sauteed chopped bacon. This recipe may be halved, for 4-5 servings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cored red cabbage (finely shredded, or chopped)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 slices chopped bacon
- 1 tart apple, cored, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- fresh ground sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground white pepper, to taste
- 1NOTE: IF HALVING THE RECIPE, THE PROPER AMOUNTS OF SUGAR AND VINEGAR SHOULD BE 8 TEASPOONS (2 TABLESPOONS PLUS 2 TEASPOONS). CABBAGE MAY BE SHREDDED OR CHOPPED USING A FOOD PROCESSOR. (STEP ONE): CORE and shred (or chop) the red cabbage.
- 2PEEL and core the apple, then chop finely; PEEL and chop one small onion.
- 3SQUEEZE enough lemons to yield 2 tablespoons juice, if using fresh (bottled juice okay).
- 4MELT butter in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat.
- 5ADD cabbage and cook until just softened, stirring often (or, cook 4 slices chopped bacon in skillet until crisp, then begin sauteeing cabbage).
- 6ADD the apple, onion and sugar, then continue cooking 5 minutes.
- 7ADD the remaining ingredients.
- 8COVER and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 9ADJUST seasoning to taste and accompany with with a pork or beef main course.
- 10SERVE and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Sour Spiced Red Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.8
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 80.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 1.7 g