Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Grandma handed this down--it has been a hit for years.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter
- 1 (1 lb) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (1 lb) can sauerkraut
- 1 (1 lb) package Polish sausage (optional)
- Simmer sugar, butter and tomatoes for half an hour in skillet.
- Add to drained sauerkraut and polish sausage in baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 325° for an 90 minutes,or put in crock pot for same time.
- Goes well with mashed potatoes.
Cooked as per recipe, was good and very economical , would perhaps was less sugar, about a 3rd less and I served this over boiled potatoes with wheat buttered bread
What a treat! Comfort food at it's best. Served with German spiced pork roast, mashed potatoes and gravy. I'm planning on serving this for New's Year's. Thank you Kendra, Best wishes from all of us.
Added 1 diced medium onion and 3/4 tsp minced garlic to the sugar/butter mixture in the pan, added 1/2 cup tomato sauce. It turned out very well