Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
The recipe comes from my German grandmother. I like it,since it is refreshing in summer and taste good with all kind of poultry.
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar (red wine vinegar is good)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 6 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- Cook bacon until crips; crumble.
- Measure 3 teaspoons of bacon fat into skillet.
- Stir in remaining ingredients,leaving out cabbage.
- Cook mixture over medium heat,stirring constantly,until mixture is smooth and clear.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Put cabbage into salad bowl.
- Pour cooled dressing over it.
- Add crumbled bacon.
Made as written with the addition of slightly more onion (used a red one). Just perfect. Have made it twice now with same results.
I used 3 teaspoons of olive oil instead and it was great! Thanks for recipe!!!!
I was hunting for this recipe because if I did not find it I planned to post it myself. Who would of thought there was so many different Red Cabbage recipes to choice from. This is the only one I have been making for at least 35 years. I got this from my DMIL who is German. Bless her big heart. This has to always be on the table when my DSD comes for dinner. It has become his most favorite dish. I do use flour instead of cornstarch but for the most part it is right on. If you plan on making any German meals this is never a mistake to prepare to go with it. I even make this for a side dish at Thanksgiving, DSD loves it that must. Please give it a try, you will not be disappointed.