Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a to die for recipe! Not healthy, but worth it once in awhile :) It's my mom's recipe (I'm sure you've heard that one before :)
- 5 cups red cabbage (1 small head)
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small sliced onion
- Cook cabbage in 2 cups water in covered pan for 5-8 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Fry bacon. Remove bacon and crumble.
- Add sugar and flour to remaining fat and blend.
- Add water, vinegar, salt and pepper and sliced onion. Cook until thick, stirring occasionally, about 5 minute.
- Add bacon and cabbage and heat through.
This was easy and excellent, even if I had to simmer the cabbage a bit longer to get done. I added the bacon at the end of cooking to keep it a bit crisper and the bacon flavor was just heavenly. Thanks for posting!!
This was very good. It reminded me of German potato salad, except with cabbage!
made this as part of a take-home package for my DS, and was advised it was wonderful! I added in some cayenne pepper and increased the bacon a few slices, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten