Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe has a unique flavor; the blending of pepper, vinegar, and sweet Vidalia onion compliment each other. Fantastic recipe for burgers, steaks, or as a side order.
- In a 1 1/2 skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and sugar.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and most of their liquid has evaporated; 10-20 minutes.
- Uncover and cook, stirring until onions turn a deep golden color; 10-20 minutes more (add 1-2 TBL water if onions start to scorch).
- Add garlic, rosemary, and vinegar; cook and stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and more vinegar if desired.
- Will keep in refrigerator for 3 days.
Great taste, quick and easy to make. Just a tip - you gotta keep stirring to keep the onions from cirsping up.
These onions came out really good! I used normal yellow onions instead of the sweet onions and subsituted brown malt vinegar instead of distilled white vinegar. I used it on a toasted steak and cheese sandwich for my husband and he said it was the best part of the sandwich!