Recipe by ~Nimz~
We serve these every new years when we have a neighborhood gathering. They always go over well. I could only guess at the prep time and serving sizes, but I am close.
Top Review by Susie D
Terrific recipe! Tasty and the leftovers were even better! After reading the reviews, I substituted pineapple juice for 1/2 of the vinegar. When checking the meatballs though, I added the vinegar back to the mix. I also added a drained can of bamboo shoots because I had the extra liquid. We were very happy with the dish and it's a recipe I'll use again & again. The recipe makes tons and the meatballs are bathed in a lovely light colored sauce. It is a wee tart, but more than sweet enough to be pleasing. I served with Asian Inspired Rice #467378. Thank you for sharing the recipe ! :-)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce or 3 drops rogers hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- MEATBALLS: Combine all ingrediants, mix.
- Shape into 1" meat balls, brown in butter over medium heat.
- SAUCE: Combine all ingrediants except pepper and pineapple.
- Cook until thickened and clear, stirring constantly.
- Add pineapple.
- Pour over meatballs in large casserole.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Add green pepper 10 minutes before removing.