Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
this is my grandmother's recipe. It makes quite a bit, but she raised 6 kids. I half it to make it for my family. You may have to adjust the vinegar in the sauce to your taste.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 eggs
- 10 saltine crackers, crushed
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- Mix ground beef with next 7 ingredients. Roll into meatballs. Place on a cookie sheet and brown in oven @ 400 degrees for about 12 minutes to brown a little.
- Prepare sauce (recipe begins with vinegar below meatball ingredients). When meatballs are done in oven, put them in a crock pot or dutch oven with sauce.
- Cook long enough for meatballs to absorb sauce (about 30 minute or longer). You will know length of time by taste of meat.