Prep 30 mins
Cook 72 hrs
- 24 small limes or 1 kg lime
- 2 tablespoons red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coarsely crushed fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 1⁄4 tablespoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup jaggery
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Wash and dry the limes.
- Make deep cross cuts.
- Crush jaggery.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in oil and add to the jaggery.
- Fill each lime with this and pack in jars rather loosely.
- For the next 3 days, stir with a long handled spoon in the jar.
- Turn limes at this stage.
- It would be nice to keep the jar in a lightly sunny position in the kitchen, as this aids the jaggery in melting rapidly and giving it a syrupy texture.
- Now, remove the jars and place on the pantry shelf for 2-3 months before serving.