Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The Sweet and sour sauce has almond butter and other ingredients to simulate hoisin sauce and works amazingly well with the cooked lentils. Loaded up to some crisp lettuce leaves with these lentils, topped it with some mango. and yum! Add cilantro or peanuts, mung sprouts, carrot ribbons or all! All plant based, whole food protein, gluten and grain free meal. If you have cooked lentils, this is ready in 10 minutes! From Vegan Richa.
- 1⁄2 cup dried brown lentils
- scant 1 1/2 cups water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 generous dash pepper
Sweet and Sour sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or coconut aminos for soy-free)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1 tablespoon asian chili paste (Sambal Oelek)
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (optional or add more chili pasta or hot sauce to taste)
- 1⁄2 inch knob ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- chopped ripe mango
- peanuts (optional)
- lettuce, of choice
- Wash and soak the lentils for at least half an hour in warm water. Drain, wash and add the lentils, salt, pepper and 1 1/2 cups water in a pan. Cook covered on high heat. Reduce heat to medium once the water comes to a rapid boil. Check for doneness after 30 minutes. Reduce heat to low-medium and cook uncovered until lentils are tender and the water is almost all gone. (4-5 minutes).
- If using cooked lentils from a can or slow cooked, add the sauce to the lentils, bring to a boil at medium and simmer for 4 minutes on low-medium.
- In another bowl, mix all the sweet and sour sauce ingredients . Add the sauce to the lentil pan. Mix and cook for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust spice if needed.
- Load up lettuce leaves with the lentils, chopped mango, cilantro and peanuts, and serve.
- Variations: Add water chestnuts or mushrooms to the lentils and sauce.
- Use other toppings like mung sprouts, sliced cucumbers, carrot ribbons, crisp rice noodles.