Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I found several Sweet & Sour Green Bean recipes over the years. Like any cook, I liked certain things about certain ones, and decided to make my own. So, here is the result! But, I dare you to have leftovers; as when you are lucky enough to, they are great cold!
- 2 (28 ounce) cans green beans, Drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large white onions, Sliced Into Rings
- 1 (16 ounce) packagecheap bacon (Usually They Are About A Pound Or So)
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 1 dash garlic
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Fry BACON and remove from fat.
- Mix SUGAR, VINEGAR and GARLIC; add to hot BACON FAT.
- Cook mixture for about 5 minutes over medium high heat.
- Place BEANS in a shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle ALMONDS over BEANS.
- Place ONION rings on top of ALMONDS.
- Crumble BACON over the top of the ONIONS.
- Pour SUGAR/VINEGAR/GARLIC/BACON FAT mixture over the top of the BACON.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 4 hours.
- For a better presentation, I would drain the liquid off of the beans before serving, or serve the beans in soup bowls. But, keep the liquid, just in case you do reheat the beans.
I made adaptations to your recipe, but loved the result. I cooked the bacon (5 strips) in the microwave on paper towels. I used one 14oz can of wax beans and one 14oz can of cut green beans for color variation and I did everything on the stovetop. I added everything except the almonds and heated. The almonds were added before serving. It was quick, very tasty, and a recipe I would use again. Thank you for the idea and inspiration!