Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
A nice vegetrian side dish, or lunch or dinner entree.
- 2 large eggplants
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, cut into eight
- 4 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable stock
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- salt and pepper
- fresh mint sprig, to garnish
- Cut the eggplants into cubes.
- Put them in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly under cold running water and drain well.
- Pat thoroughly dry with absorbent paper towels.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the eggplant cubes, stirring constantly, for about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and onion and cook further 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, mint, and stock, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the brown sugar, red wine vinegar, and chile flakes; season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish the eggplant with fresh mint sprigs and serve.
Went together easily and we enjoyed it. The brown sugar/red wine vinegar was just the perfect blend for the eggplant and tomato. I added lots of freshly ground black pepper. I would suggest caution about using the whole amount of crushed red pepper. It may be too much for people who can't take spicy food. I wasn't quite brave enough to throw in the mint--it just seemed to odd for me, but the rest of it was a wonderful change of pace from our usual favorite vegetable side dishes.