Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A very burtitious and 2 flavored salad !
- 3 large cucumbers
- 1 onion
- 1 red Thai chile
For the dressing
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- Wash, peel and slice the cucumber finely.
- Skin and slice the onion finely as well.
- Deseed the chille and make fine slices.
- Take a shallow bowl, place the cucumber slices, then place the sliced onions and sprinkle the sliced chillies on top.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together.
- Pour this over the onions and cucumbers.
- Refrigerate the salad for a few hours.
- Serve chilled.
In addition to the flavor, I really admire the nutritional analysis ... unlike many other sweet and sour cucumber recipes, the sodium level here is quite reasonable, so this can be served to individuals on a restricted diet (low sodium, no added salt, AHA, etc.). In fact, with a little flavor loss, but much more flexibility, you can either refrigerate in individual portions, with individual amounts of salt, or you can let each diner add salt as appropriate ...
My husband really enjoyed this salad. It is not too sweet or spicy. Thanks for the recipe.
Great summer salad. I served it with fish and found the sweet/sour dressing balanced nicely with the spice from the chili. A mandoline would be perfect for slicing the cucumber just so but you can do it by hand -- it just takes a bit longer.