Recipe by katie in the UP
This is one of our favorite 'take out' meals! Recipe is courtesy of Juan Carlos Cruz from the Low Calorie Commando show on Food Network. Posted for the Low Fat Holiday Challenge.
Top Review by kolibri
Lovely sauce, so fragrant! I whizzed it up in a blender to get the garlic and ginger in good. I had issues with the chicken though - the egg white just got stuck in the bottom of the pan into a thin omelette... maybe I had my pan too hot? It tasted good though, but mostly without the egg ;)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1 (8 ounce) jar baby corn, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix the cornstarch, white pepper, and egg whites.
- Add the chicken and toss until well coated.
- Heat a large nonstick wok until blazing hot. Coat the bottom of the pan with the canola oil.
- Add the chicken to the pan and move continuously to prevent chicken from sticking together.
- Saute for about 1 1/2 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the wok and keep warm.
- Over high heat, add to the wok the soy sauce, tomato paste, sesame oil, honey, garlic, ginger, vinegar, and marmalade. Lower heat and simmer for approximately 30 seconds to thicken.
- Add the baby corn and bamboo shoots and warm through.
- Once sauce is thick and warm, whisk in the pineapple.
- To serve, arrange chicken strips on a platter and pour the sauce over the chicken.