Recipe by Adopted Parisian
There are tons of sweet and sour braised brisket recipes out there! I have tried many in my years, but none so unique (or easy) as this! Twenty minutes prep, then walk away until it's time to eat!
- 1 (6 lb) beef brisket, upper portion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 -6 stalks celery, cut into big chunks
- 3 medium onions, peeled and cut into big chunks
- 1 head garlic, peeled, sectioned, and lightly smashed
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Rub brisket generously with salt and vegetable oil.
- Heat large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil to coat pan and when the oil is hot, add brisket and brown on both sides.
- Transfer the brisket to shallow baking dish keeping juices in saute pan.
- Add the vegetables to saute pan. Cook until brown and slightly softened. Pour vegetables over brisket.
- Whisk tomatoes, sugar, stock, and vinegar in a mixing bowl then pour it into same saute pan. Cook for a few minutes to get all flavor out of the pan, then pour over the brisket. Should be at least 3/4 of the way submersed in liquid. Cover dish loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 8 to 10 hours until tender and meat begins to fall apart.
- Slice thinly and serve with vegetables and juices.