Recipe by keen5
My family really enjoyed this recipe. Prep time is approximate. I did not include marinating the meat early in the day.
- salad oil
- soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons red table wine
- 1 lb beef round steak, cut into 1 inch chunks (I used fondue cubes)
- 2 large green peppers, cut into strips
- 2 stalks celery, sliced diagonally
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Early in the day: In shallow baking dish, for marinade, combine 1/4 cup salad oil, 4 teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 4 teaspoons soy sauce and wine.
- Add round steak chunks and turn over to coat with marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate, turning meat occaisionally.
- About 40 minutes before serving: In covered 8" skillet over medium-high heat, heat meat and marinade to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 30 minutes or until meat is tender, stirring occaisionally.
- With slotted spoon, remove meat; set aside, leaving liquid in skillet.
- To skillet, add 1 tablespoon salad oil, green peppers, celery and onions; cover and cook over medium heat until tender-crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl with fork, combine 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, ketchup and Worcestershire; gradually stir into vegetables and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Add tomatoes and meat and cook, stirring occaisionally, until heated through.
- Serve with the rice.