Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from my Better Homes and Gardens Recipe Card Library. Its dated 1976. This is a delicious dish. Serve immediately when done cooking, since cooked cabbage tends to water out and may cause the sauce to thin. Trust me on this.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- In skillet cook beef, onion, celery, and green pepper till meat is browned; drain off excess fat.
- Sprinkle meat mixture with oats, parsley, the 3/4 teaspoons salt, the garlic powder, and the 1/8th teaspoons pepper.
- Core cabbage; cut in six wedges. Place atop meat.
- In bowl combine tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, the 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the dash pepper; mix well. Pour over cabbage and meat.
- Simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes or tull cabbage is tender. Serve at once.