Recipe by TattooedMamaof2
Eating Well - October 2009 -- To suit our diet and tastes, I used ground turkey, 4 C chicken stock, 1/3 C cider vinegar, and sugar intead of honey.
Top Review by thejonesgal
I have a similar recipe that I was hoping to find on food.com<br/>Here are the differences as I can remember them:<br/>1/2 lb ground beef<br/>granny smith apple<br/>chicken stock instead of beef<br/>There may be a few more differences but it's really close and I love it!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen peppers and onions, thawed & chopped
- 1 medium golden delicious apple, unpeeled & diced
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 cups savoy cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef, caraway seeds and thyme, cook, stirring until beef is mostly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add in pepper-onion mix and apple; cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes more.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, honey and paprika and adjust the heat so the mixture boils gently. Cook for 8-10 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Stir in cabbage and cook until just barely tender, 3-4 minutes more. Season to taste with vinegar, salt and pepper.