Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is like a sweet and savory stew. The meat gets very tender and is delicious with the vegetables and sauce. I believe this recipe is from Taste of Home.
- 2 lbs boneless round steak or 2 lbs chuck steaks, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups white pearl onions
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- shell macaroni (optional)
- In a skillet, brown steak in oil; transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the next 10 ingredients; stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Thicken if desired.
- Serve over macaroni if desired.
This was very simple to make. I could not find any fresh pearl onions so I used a sweet onion, chopped. I served this over brown rice, which mingled with the flavor of the stew. A couple of dashes of soy sauce also enhanced the stew. A very hardy meal. I think this would be good for a winter or fall evening.