Recipe by **Tinkerbell**
This unique salad recipe, from the Cook's Colour Treasury, begins with dried kidney beans and finishes with the accents of cinnamon and savory. This recipe was lovingly adopted, after being posted in the Topic of the Month forum by John DOH (chef #308515), during the January 2011 Beans and Lentils event. After making this recipe myself, I have only a couple adjustments that I'll make in the future. I'll leave out the cinnamon, as my family simply doesn't enjoy cinnamon in savory dishes and that turns out to be true for this recipe as well. Other than that, it's a very enjoyable salad. I had matchstick carrots that I used instead of a whole one and I sliced the olives and added that to the instructions, but feel free to put them in whole if you'd prefer. I also cut back on the oil (noted in recipe) and the amount was fine. :)
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 8 green olives
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (I use 4 Tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans in a saucepan, cover with boiling water and leave to soak for 2 hours.
- Add the salt, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until tender.
- Drain beans and allow to cool.
- Peel and slice the carrot, peel and chop the onion and slice the green olives. Place in a bowl and add the beans.
- Combine all dressing ingredients, pour over bean mixture and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours or until serving time.