Recipe by Snowpeas
A sweet version of a Chek Mix! This recipe came from my SIL Marsha. Add whatever sounds good to you! The only important thing is to stir it as it cools so that you don't end up with one big clump. This uses real corn syrup, not the high fructose invention that is so popular with many food manufacturers. I'm not big on using the microwave, so I cook the corn syrup on the stove, do as you prompted ; ) For those concerned with the sugar, Whey Low will work in place of the sugar and I think you could make a syrup with it as well.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup white corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup almonds
- 12 ounces Crispix cereal (or other corn and rice cereal)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 275 F (135 C).
- Spray a large roasting pan with non-stick cooking spray or use butter.
- In a medium sized microwavable bowl, mix butter, white corn syrup and brown sugar.
- Place the mixture in the microwave and cook 2 minutes, or until butter melts.
- Place the cereal, pecans and almonds into the roasting pan.
- Pour the melted butter mixture over the contents of the pan and mix gently until the cereal and nuts are coated.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- As the snack cools, be sure to continue stirring so that it does not harden into one big clump of stuff.
- Note: You can add M&Ms, pretzels, peanuts, or any just about anything else you want into the mix. I haven't tried jelly beans, but who knows?