Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From TOH tailgate cookbook. Sent in by Jane MacKinnis. Just layer ingredients in 1 dish and you'll have an appetizer finished in about one hour!
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 lbs chicken legs
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons hickory smoke salt
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place onions in a greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Arrange chicken in a single layer over onions.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over all, completely covering chicken.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until juices run clear, basting several times.
This was delicious! Smelled awesome in the house after only 10 minutes in the oven! I would suggest serving over rice to suck up the fabulous juices.. I used pasta, but it runs off..
Yumm yumm!! I liked how easy these were to prepare and using the onions as a sort of rack was great!!! It gave great flavor to both the onions and the chicken!! The onions were slightly crisp and had great texture as a side dish to the chicken!! The sauce was nice and tangy. I made my own hickory smoke salt with some hickory smoke powder that I got from savoryspiceshop.com and mixed it with kosher salt. I liked these a lot, will make again!!
The presentation of the chicken was beautiful. I served it on a bed of rice with a side of corn. The taste was way too sweet for us though. It was tangy and sweet, but we like it a little less zippy. I bet this would go over well with a lot of other people though.