1/1 Photo of Sweet & Smoky BBQ Beef for Sandwiches
3 hrs 5 mins
Sherry from Louisiana's Note:
This recipe is a favorite of my family.It is a great recipe for parties. Even the little ones eat it up. It is full of flavor and some find it addictive! You can also cook a pork roast with this recipe for bbq pork sandwiches. You will just have to carefully pick the meat to remove all fat before adding the bbq sauce.We like our bbq beef on toasted buns with mustard and pickle or a spoonful of homemade coleslaw.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs top round roast
- 3 medium yellow onions, quartered and sliced
- 3 cups cattlemens smoky barbecue sauce, preferred (or other smoky sauce)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1Season both sides of the roast with the salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and minced garlic.
- 2In a dutch oven on your stove top heat the oil on medium-high heat. Add the roast and lightly brown each side. This takes about one minute on each side.
- 3Pour in half of the bottle of beer.Put the cap back on you will use the rest later. Top the roast with the brown sugar. Add the sliced onions.( These will cook down and the kids won't even see them.) Put the lid on and cook on medium for 1 1/2 hours.Make sure the juices are at a low simmer.
- 4Take off the lid and pour in the other half of the beer, turn the roast over, mix everything around real good and put the lid back on. Cook on medium-low for another 1 1/2 hours.The juices should be at a lower simmer now.
- 5When the time is up check tenderness. The meat should pull apart with a fork easily.
- 6Remove the roast from the pan to a plate if it is done.
- 7The onions should be cooked down to practically nothing and there should be no more than a cup of juices left in the pan. Add the bbq sauce to the onions and juice in the pan.
- 8On the plate cut the roast across the grain at about every 3 inches. This will make the roast pull apart into smaller pieces. Pull the meat apart with a large fork into shreds.
- 9Add the meat to the sauce mixture and mix very well. The meat will absorb all of the sauce quickly.Let it sit on very low heat for about 30 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Smoky BBQ Beef for Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.4
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 702.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 35.2 g
- Protein 25.5 g