Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
In Thailand, bananas are used for desserts such as this one! Simple recipes like this are also used in the Caribbean! From Vegetarian Times cookbook.
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 limes, juice of
- 4 bananas, peeled, sliced diagonally (fresh and firm)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- In a dry skillet, toast the sesame seeds until golden. Set aside.
- Squeeze lime juice over banana slices and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the sugar and water over a slow, even heat until the temperature reaches about 235*F. on a candy thermometer and the mixture forms threads. The syrup should be thick and bubbling.
- Remove from the heat.
- Butter a sheet of waxed paper.
- Dip the banana slices into the syrup, place them on the waxed paper.
- sprinkle them with the sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Excellent desert! The banana famine in Australia is over and we can eat bananas freely without paying a heavy price. This dish was very easy to put together and although I am not a sweet tooth the lime juice offset the syrup flavour and it didn't taste sickly sweet. Thank you Sharon123