Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cubes of French bread are dipped in egg batter and fried in butter. Then, sugar is added to the toast cubes in the saute pan and heated until dissolved, forming a sugary glaze. Recipe can be halved successfully. This is awesome!
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 cups cubed day-old bread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, beat eggs.
- Add milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Add bread cubes and toss.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add bread cubes and stir until cooked and browned.
- Gradually add sugar and stir to coat evenly.
- Cook until all sugar is dissolved for about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Wow, was this sweet. I loved it, so much flavor with great textures. It was quick and very easy to make, with terrific results. Made exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing. Thank you so much for sharing a recipe that I will make again.
It's a good recipe, I used full-fat milk and increased the cinnamon and sugar, I made only half a recipe which was just right for DH, you would need a huge frypan to make a complete recipe. thanks Marie!...Kitten:)