1/3 Photos of Sweet & Savory Vegetarian/Vegan Soup
1 hr 26 mins
1 hr 11 mins
This one-pot recipe was made for the Ready, Set, Cook: Lucky #13 Cooking Contest utilizing 5 ingredients from the special list including "fresh baby carrots, frozen spinach, soy sauce, canned pineapple chunks and canned chickpeas." This soup is a delicious vegetable soup with a clear broth with a sweet and savory flavor. Note: This recipe has been corrected.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups sweet onions (sliced)
- 1/2 cup barley
- 42 ounces vegetable broth (organic)
- 1 cup baby carrots (fresh and chopped)
- 5 ounces frozen spinach
- 15 1/2 ounces chickpeas
- 8 1/4 ounces pineapple chunks (and juice)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (to taste)
- 1 dash pepper (to taste)
- 1In a large dutch oven (5-quarts) on medium heat add cooking oil and butter.
- 2When oil begins to sizzle add and saute sliced onions until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add barley and cook for 1 minute more (stir frequently, do not let the barley burn).
- 4Add vegetable broth to dutch oven, then carrots, spinach and chickpeas.
- 5Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer covered on low for 45 minutes or until carrots and barley are tender.
- 6Uncover dutch oven.
- 7Add pineapple and juice to the soup.
- 8Add and stir sesame oil and soy sauce; simmer on low for another 15 minutes.
- 9Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Savory Vegetarian/Vegan Soup
Serving Size: 1 (434 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.7
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 426.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 7.6 g