Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. Intriguing, isnt it? The combination of the sweet apple pie and the savory sausage and potatoes with onion, is a marriage made in culinary heaven. I wanted to make a brunch dish to serve to friends that was not filled with milk and cheese. This is the recipe I came up with!! It is a welcome addition to any weekend brunch. Enjoy!
- 1 apple pie (store bought)
- 1 lb maple breakfast sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg substitute
- 4 cups Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 2 cups French bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Spray a shallow 3 quart casserole dish with a non stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, until cooked through.
- Remove from heat and drain the sausage on paper towel, set aside.
- Break apple pie into one inch pieces.
- Place on the bottom of prepared casserole dish.
- Top with cooked sausage.
- In a large bowl, combine Simply Potatoes diced potatoes and bread cubes.
- Pour egg substitute over all. Stir till just combined.
- Spoon the potato-egg mixture over the crumbled sausage.
- Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove casserole from the refrigerator an hour prior to baking.
- Bake in a preheated oven, uncovered, for 55 to 65 minutes, or until mixture is cooked through and nicely golden.