Recipe by C.Lo Carb Queen
I usually double this recipe and it makes six large sandwiches and about 8 regular size. I created this recipe by changing a similar chicken salad recipe I have, and it's a big hit with my husband and kids alike. Also, I personlly don't like onion or celery by themselves, but I wouldn't leave them out of this recipe. Together, the flavors are all on point.
- 8 slices crusty bread
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups white meat chicken, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 1 green apple, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 -8 leaves green lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chicken, celery, onion, apple, and nuts in a mixing bowl, place in the refrigerator while preparing the dressing.
- Blend mayo, sour cream, dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, white pepper, and sugar until creamy.
- Add dressing to salad mixture, stir until salad is evenly coated and refrigerate while preparing bacon. If your bacon is precooked, let chicken salad chill for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Prepare bacon so that is crispy, but not charred. Drain well.
- Toast bread lightly, preferably on a griddle with a small bit of butter.
- Place a small bed of lettuce on one half of sandwich and heap chicken salad on top.
- Lightly press the heap to slightly flatten and lay 2 or 3 strips of bacon on top. Serve open-faced.