Recipe by ARathkamp
This recipie was inspired by #269690 with alterations to our family's taste. My husband and I made this for some friends while on vacation and it was a huge hit, even with all the children ranging from 8 to 18. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as we do. This is a very popular request for meals at our house.
Top Review by Pinkngreen3
This recipe is sooo good & yummy!! My whole family (young kids too!) went back for thirds. Which, btw, is rare in my household! What I did differently was not much, I added an extra can of diced or stewed italian style tomatoes. I also cut the casings off the sausage and I simmered the tomato sauce for 30 min. This is wonderful and everyone wants it again next week :)
- 5 links sweet Italian sausage (we like Johnsonville)
- 1 (8 ounce) box penne rigate
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic (diced, Del Monte makes these)
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 (2 ounce) can black olives, sliced (or can use fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (or to taste or can use fresh)
- 2 teaspoons dried sweet basil leaves (or to taste or can use fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, fresh shaved
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta per directions on package.
- Cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces.
- Slice sausage links. In large skillet (we use a wok), sauté sausage and asparagus until almost fully cooked (about 7 - 10 minutes). Remove from skillet / wok and set aside.
- In same skillet / wok, bring butter, garlic, tomatoes (with juices), black olives (drained) and artichokes (including marinade), to a boil.
- Lower heat. Add back sausage and asparagus, basil, and oregano then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place pasta in serving bowl and pour skillet / wok mixture over pasta.
- Sprinkle with fresh shaved parmesan cheese and serve.