Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from one of those grocery store cookbooks (Betty Crocker) I think. If you are a butternut squash fan...this one is for you!
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed into bite-size pieces
- red peppers (or a combination) or yellow peppers (or a combination) or green pepper, cut in strips (or a combination)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (I use coarse ground)
- Prepare grill for about medium heat.
- In large bowl mix up sausage pieces, squash pieces,peppers and onions.
- Combine syrup, orange juice, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Divide sausage, squash,peppers and green onion onto four large pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil (big enough square to make a foil"packet" out of) Equally pour syrup mixture over each sausage packet.
- Fold up packets with a tight seal, leaving a little room for heat expansion.
- Put packets on grill over medium heat for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- If your seal is tight enough, using oven mitts, rotate the packets a few times throughout cooking to"coat" the ingredients inside with the syrup mixture.
- If you can't, you can baste everything when you open them.
- To check sqaush for tenderness, I will just cut a small opening in the foil big enough to poke a fork in and test a squash cube.
- BE CAREFUL of the steam!