Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is from Taste of Home Slow Cooker Hot and Hearty Classics. It makes a lot of sauce (about 2 Cups) which is great if serving over noodles or rice. In my case, I was serving it with a side of vegetables so I would reduce the sauce for that reason. I did make one change to this recipe and that was to cook just the chicken for 2 hours, then I drained the fat and added the sauce, but you can do whatever you like.
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens, cut up and skin removed
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Place chicken pieces in 3-4 Qt slow cooker.
- In small saucepan, combine brown sugar and flour, stir in water, vinegar, soy sauce.
- Add ketchup, dried onion, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 1-2 minutes to thicken.
- Pour sauce over chicken and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
The sauce this dish makes is very good! I served it with white rice. The chicken came out slightly dry but not so much it wasn't tasty. May try this in a low temp oven rather than the crock pot. Made for Spring PAC 2014.