Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
There are many hot chile pepper pastes used as table condiments in China and Southeast Asia; I used sambal oelek which is the most common and most popular. Containing chiles, salt, vinegar and sometimes garlic and tamarind, the fiery paste gives food a powerful flavor boost giving this Salmon recipe an Asian flair. Serve on a bed of greens to keep the carbs down or on a bed of rice.
- 1 lb salmon fillet, cut into 4
- 1 egg white, whisked lightly
- 2 tablespoons honey (or brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon sambal chili paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Place salmon in a shallow dish or zip-lock bag. Mix marinade and pour over salmon.
- Marinade for 30 minutes to 2 hours in the fridge. Heat broil to high.
- Cover a cookie sheet pan with foil and coat with a non stick spray.
- Place fillet on foil with marinade drizzle over them. Place in oven on top rack.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes flip and broil 3-4 more minutes brushing glaze once flipped.
- Plate fillets and drizzle honey on top.
wow this recipe is great. Wonderful taste. I broiled the salmon in the oven until ready. I let the salmon in the marinade at least 45 minutes. I had to omit the ginger because I didn't have it. This is a recipe that I will do often for me and DH. Thanks Rita :) Made for PAC Spring 2013
Incredible! Probably my favorite salmon recipe yet. I love Sambal and it paired very well with the sweetness of the brown sugar and also I had to use homemade crystallized ginger, because I didn't realize I hadn't bought any fresh since making a new batch. But it wasn't too sweet or too spicy. I served it with Evelyn/Athens' Confetti Rice and Bean Salad and it was wonderful! I did get carried away with the marinade on top. I forgot I was only making one fillet and made the full marinade recipe. However, I couldn't be happier with a little extra! :) Thanks for sharing, Rita! Made and enjoyed for TOTM forum's Catch of the Day! seafood tag game.
This is one of the very best salmon dishes that I have ever had!!! Outstanding combination of flavors!! I used 1 TBSP sambal oelek and I broiled for 4 minutes each side. The heat was just perfect on this and the marinade brought out a great salmon. It was just great flavor! If you don't like salmon, you should try this recipe, you might be surprised!! I will definitely be making this again and again!!! Thanks for a wonderful salmon recipe!!