Prep 3 mins
Cook 4 mins
This is my favourite way to eat this classic comfort food and express meal. I know everyone has their own way of making it, but I'm posting this recipe because most people probably haven't thought about adding dates. Quantities will vary depending on the size of your bread and your personal taste. Enjoy!
- 2 slices fresh bread, good quality
- 6 -8 slices sharp cheddar cheese, sliced thinly
- 2 -4 dates, halved and pitted
- butter or mayonnaise
- Spread a THIN coat of butter or mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
- On unbuttered side, layer cheese and dates.
- Cover with the second slice, buttered side out.
- Preheat a frying pan on med-high heat.
- Place sandwich in pan.
- Cook 2-3 minutes until golden and cheese has melted enough that you can flip it without everything slipping out.
- Flip over, flatten with spatula if desired.
- Cook another 2-3 minutes until golden.
This was very unusual and really good! Next time I will cut the dates up a little more so they spread out more and are easier to eat. I definitely would have never thought to put dates in a grilled cheese but it was great! Thanks for the excellent idea!