Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My Mom used to make this when I was young. I thought it was fancy french cookin!! This is an easy make ahead recipe that people just love when comfort food is on the menu. You could substitute boneless breast of chicken that is less then 1 inch thick or even halibut!! I make this from start to finish in a large oven proof skillet but if you don't have one, you can transfer from a regular skillet to a baking dish to finish.
- 4 pork chops, not more than an inch thick
- 1 -2 cup bottled Russian salad dressing
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced in rings
- 1 -2 tablespoon of minced garlic, if desired
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika, mixed together
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Season pork chops with salt,pepper, paprika mixture on both sides.
- Heat skillet on a med flame with 1 tbsp oil and saute sliced onion rings till lightly carmelized
- Turn heat lower and add garlic and saute for another 2 mins taking care not to burn garlic.
- Remove onion/garlic from skillet and set aside.
- Return skillet to med-high flame and add 1 tbsp oil and brown pork chops on both sides, usually 3-4 mins per side.
- Turn heat to med and pour 1 cup Russian dressing over meat and add onions/garlic back to skillet and toss well to coat.
- ~~Also at this point you can put the pork chops etc away to freeze or refridgerate - to bake later.
- (At this time you could put scalloped potatoes in oven).
- Put skillet in preheated oven or transfer to oven proof dish (ensure you have sprayed it with non-stick spray.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- At this time you can remove cover and add another cup of dressing and bake for the last 15 minutes.
- Serve this dish with scalloped potatoes or buttered noodles or rice and a nice salad with a creamy type dressing to off set the sweetness of this dish.
- Oh and please enjoy.
I love this, this is supper tonight. Thank you!!