Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
AMAZING. Serve with penne pasta and grated cheese on top. My favorite meal of the week. Sweet Roma type tomatoes are essential. (North Fork Ranch, Summer 2006)
- 25 roma tomatoes, steamed and peeled
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups fresh basil, loosely packed and chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- Chop ends off Roma tomatoes and boil in stockpot to loosen skin.
- Peel skin from Romas.
- Add olive oil, water, sugar, garlic, basil, and pepper.
- Simmer sauce for 2 hours to break down tomatoes, leaving chunky, but light sauce.