Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a sweet, but not sugary pumpkin mash, which makes me think of holiday season whenever I cook it. It has a slight flavour of cinnamon and cloves and is very yummy! :) I hope you do enjoy!
- 1 medium hokkaido squash, diced (or other pumpkin)
- 1 -2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if your cayenne is strong, go easy and reduce it)
- 3 cloves
- approx. 500 ml water, boiling
- Place diced pumpkin, oil and spices in a big bowl. Toss to coat.
- Spread pumpkin on a paper-lined baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for 20 minutes or until nicely browned and tender.
- Remove from baking sheet (make sure to discard cloves) and place in a pot/bowl.
- Using a hand held blender and adding as much water as needed, puree until a thick mash has formed.
- Enjoy! :).
I used a small butternut pumpkin and made as directed and it took about 30 minutes to cook till tender and as we like our mash thick I didn't add any water and just stuck the stick blender in there but that cayenne really came through so would cut that back to 1/2 or 3/4 teaspoon - could depend on your cayenne) and oh remove the cloves before you mash (I bit into one - not pleasant, fortunately the other 2 blended into the mix, would suggest using freshly ground cloves instead for maximum flavour). Thank you Lalaloula for an enhoyable side, made for Please Review My Recipe.
Wonderful! Delicious pumpkin side dish to enhance any meal! I omitted the cayenne and replaced it with a 1/4 of a teaspoon of nutmeg instead! This has become a new Autumn tradition at our house! Thanks for posting Lalaloula! Made for Veg 'N Swap tag.
Sorry but this was too spicy for us and I just used a little cayenne. It also took a little more than double the time to cook... I used a sweet pumpkin that was hardly sweet at all (have since realized this is part of the reason we didn't like the dish and probably why it took longer to cook, therefore I removed the stars as it was either under ripe or just a bad "un"-sweet pumpkin. I served it cubed without mashing as we like squash that way in general on top of Rice with Almonds and Dates with Balkan (thick) yogurt.