Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I've made this several times for special occasions and it's always been a success with one and all. I hope you and your family will enjoy it this year for a special occasion such as VALENTINE'S DAY!
- 2 cups long-grain kohinoor basmati rice
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup blanched almond, raisins and pistachios
- 5 -6 green cardamoms
- 1 teaspoon yellow food coloring, powder
- 1 cup ghee
- 3 -4 drops kewra essence (Available at East Indian grocery stores, this is alongside rose water)
- 6 blanched and sliced almonds
- 6 pistachios, sliced
- Wash rice extremely well in 4-5 cups of water.
- Drain well, then refill the container with fresh water an food colour.
- Soak rice in this for 15-20 minutes.
- After 15-20 minutes, boil rice in this same water.
- Remove from heat when half done and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in another vessel.
- Once its hot, add green cardamoms to it.
- Then, toss in the almonds, pistachios and raisins.
- Heat on medium flame.
- Add rice and sugar.
- Stir well, but slowly, to prevent the rice from breaking.
- Increase flame and allow the rice to cook till the water dries up.
- Keep stirring so that the rice does not burn.
- If the water has dried and the rice is uncooked, add some more water and cover it.
- When the water dries, add kewra water and cover tightly.
- Cook on dum for 10-12 minutes.
- When the rice starts to smell aromatic, remove from flame.
- Garnish with blanched almonds and pistachios and serve immediately.