Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Fast, simple, and delicious--great for a busy weeknight! Just add a salad and bread. During the summer I puree fresh basil and freeze it in ice trays, and that's what I use in this sauce. However, you could use 1 teaspoon of dried basil if you have to.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 8 ounces ziti pasta, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add red pepper, onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in water, bouillon cubes and basil. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in cream. Simmer, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Spoon over ziti and toss. Top with fresh cracked pepper, if desired.
This was so quick to put together and delicious. BF voted for 10 stars! I used casarecce pasta because it is what I had on hand. Thank you for the recipe Jeri- This will be a repeat!