Recipe by cookiedog
This is a favorite appetizer at every family function. It is especially well received with cocktails! It is similar to pepper jelly, but you do not need pectin. We usually serve it with crackers spread with a little cream cheese and a dollop of this sweet spread on top. This is great to have on hand when you have unexpected company or to give as a hostess gift. (yield is aproximate)
Top Review by omeomy #2
There is a reason folks have been making Pepper JELLY for over 100 years (well, in New Orleans they have); straining it eliminates the skin particles. This recipe has quite good flavor but those tiny pieces of pepper skin are annoying in that they stick to teeth. Two friends who sampled this looked like they had bleeding gums. Will NOT make again.
- 6 large red bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and remove seeds and finely chop peppers. (This can be done by hand or with a food processor).
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer, uncovered for 45-60 minutes - stirring occasionally until thickened.
- It can be canned or you can store it in the fridge for several weeks.