Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have tried several very good pizza sauces from this site. Came up with this idea, tried out on several college students and received an "A".
- 1⁄3 cup red pepper paste (*)
- 10 3⁄4 ounces tomato puree
- 1⁄2 red onion, grated
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Bring all ingredients together in saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 15-20 minutes, stir frequently.
- This can be doubled or tripled and frozen.
- *Make red pepper paste as follows:.
- 3 large red peppers, cut in half, cored and deseeded.
- Press halves flat (don't worry if they split). Place on cookie sheet, skin side up and roast at 450F until skin is blackened.
- Remove from oven and place in paper bag and close. Set aside while preparing rest of sauce.
- Remove cooled peppers from bag and rub charred skin off with clean tea towel. Don't be concerned is some is left on.
- Cut into chunks.
- Place in blender or food processor and pulse until broken down.
- Add drizzles of extra virgin olive oil until smooth paste.
- Add splash of balsamic vinegar and pinch of kosher salt.
- Blend and add 1/3 cup to rest of ingredients.