1/1 Photo of Sweet Red Pepper Gyro Sauce
1 hr 10 mins
Traditionally, Greek gyros are served with a mild white yogurt dill cucumber sauce called TZATZIKI. This is an alternate, a sort of sweet red pepper curry-like sauce. It is sometimes served with kabobs, on pita bread, or even over rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 sweet red peppers or 3 green bell peppers, sliced thin
- 1 medium cubanelle pepper, sliced thin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 cup hot water
- 1In a bowl, combine tomato puree, sugar, and vinegar; set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat; saute onions until their edges start to brown.
- 3Add sliced peppers, season with salt and pepper to taste, and saute over medium low for 2 or 3 minutes.
- 4Stir in tomatoes.
- 5Stir in the tomato puree mixture.
- 6Add 1 cup hot water and simmer until sauce thickens, about 45 to 60 minutes.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Red Pepper Gyro Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 22.6
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: