Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a beautiful and tasty dish. The grilled chicken is optional. Most of the flavor in the dish comes from the roasted peppers. The dried red pepper adds zing without making it too spicy. Make twice as much as you need because this dish tastes even better reheated.
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb zucchini, cut into julienne strips
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, cut into strips (optional)
- 1 lb fettuccine, cooked al dente
- Preheat broiler.
- Place peppers on small broiling pan and broil 5 inches from heat source until peppers turn black and blister. Turn when necessary so that you roast the entire pepper.
- When roasted, place peppers in a plastic bag and seal shut to steam for 30 minutes. Remove peppers from bag and gently pull off blackened skin. Cut into strips.
- In large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil and saute bell pepper strips, zucchini strips, onions and garlic for 10 minutes or until onions are softened. Add tomatoes, salt, dried red pepper flakes and chicken breast strips. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over cooked fettuchini.