Top Review by Toadflax
I have not tried this recipe but just wanted to respond to the review from Chef Tweaker. The Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving (same as Ball) has a recipe for sweet pumpkin pickles. It has 24 cups of pumpkin and 4 cups of vinegar - so for 6 cups pumpkin that would be only 1 cup vinegar. Tonkcats' recipe has 2 cups. This should be perfectly safe to waterbath - please note that the book calls for 20 minutes processing. I would also not be afraid to let the pickles in syrup sit for the 24 hours at room temperature but they would probably be okay refrigerated.
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pumpkin by peeling, cubing and discarding seeds and inner pulp.
- Place pumpkin cubes in colander and set over boiling water. Make sure water does not touch pumpkin. Cover and steam until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain.
- Simmer vinegar, sugar and cinnamon for 15 minutes.
- Add pumpkin and simmer 3 minutes.
- Set aside for 24 hours.
- Heat and simmer 5 minutes more. Remove cinnamon sticks.
- Pack boiling hot in hot canning jars, leaving 1/2-inch headroom.
- Adjust lids and process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.