Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
A very good and pretty relish for Thanksgiving.
- 12 -15 cups pumpkin, rind removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 10 lbs sugar
- 1 gallon vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 ounces whole cloves
- 1 1⁄4 ounces cinnamon sticks
- Tie spices in cheese cloth.
- Place cubed pumpkin in colander and pour boiling water through until pumpkin is thoroughly hot. Plunge in very cold water and drain.
- Cook in boiling syrup made with sugar, vinegar and spices.
- Remove each piece as it becomes clear.
- When all are done, return to syrup and let stand in cool place overnight. Drain.
- Boil syrup.
- Add pumpkin; bring to boiling point (do not boil). Repeat one more time. Fill sterilized jars with chips.
- Add boiling syrup to 1/2-inch of top and seal.