Recipe by Lennie
This side dish is decadent with the addition of the rum, but not as sweet as those that use marshmallows. If you substitute the orange juice, add some freshly grated orange zest too, for a real flavour punch.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum (substitute freshly-squeezed orange juice if you wish; it will taste different though)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the whole, unpeeled, sweet potatoes until tender but not too soft-- it will take anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes depending on the thickness of your potatoes.
- Drain and, when cool enough to handle, peel and slice into 1/4-inch slices.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Arrange the slices in an attractive overlapping pattern in a buttered shallow baking dish.
- Dot with butter pieces, then sprinkle with brown sugar and raisins, if using.
- Drizzle the rum over all.
- Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, until bubbly and glazed, about 30 minutes.