Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 12 ounces poblano chiles
- 8 ounces yellow onions
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup creme fraiche
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Pre-baking the potatoes.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into approximately`1/2 inch thick rounds.
- Shingle the sweet potato slices in a baking dish large enough to hold the slices in a single overlapping layer.
- Brush the sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter.
- Sprinkle the salt over the potatoes.
- Pre-bake the sweet potatoes for 40 minutes at 375° F.
- Sautéing the raisins.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- When the butter is foaming, add the raisins and lightly sauté.
- Season with a pinch of salt and remove from heat and reserve.
- Preparing and adding the chiles.
- Char and peel the poblano chiles.
- Remove and discard the stems and seeds.
- Cut the chiles into ¼ inch strips.
- Peel the onions.
- Cut the onions into ¼ inch slices.
- Separate each slice into rings.
- Combine the poblano chile strips and the onion rings and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon of melted butter.
- After the potatoes have roasted for 40 minutes, remove from the oven and distribute the raisins and the chiles and onions over the potatoes.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- To Serve.
- Wash the cilantro and prepare approximately 1 loose cup of small cilantro sprigs.
- When ready to serve, distribute the cilantro sprigs over the top of the warm dish.
- Drizzle the crème fraîche over the surface of the dish and serve immediately.
This turned out fantastic, but I did doctor it up a bit. To the potatoes I added zing with 3 tbs brown sugar, 1 ts salt and chili powder and 1/4 ts cayenne. To the peppers I added 2 tbs brine from a jalapeno jar.
Sweet, hot, cool, crunchy, smooth, chewy; delicious and attractive combination of textures and tastes. Dh detests raisins so I used dried cranberries and I liked the added color. I encourage you to take care when slicing the ingredients. Keep the slices uniform at the recommended thicknesses or you'll end up with burnt vegetables. The directions make the recipe sound like more work than it actually is. This is wonderful.
Great Recipe. To create more depth I sprinkled brown sugar on the potato slices and soaked the raisins in white wine prior to baking to prevent burning