Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This dish is very good served with fresh green beans or a rice pilaf.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 medium onion, peeled cut in half lengthwise and then crosswise into very thin rings
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Put the oil in a wide sauté pan or large frying pan and set over medium high heat.
- When hot, put in cinnamon stick and the onion.
- Sauté for about 3 minutes, or until the onion has lost much of its water.
- Add the sweet potatoes and stir.
- Continue to sauté another 6 to 7 minutes or until the onion begins to turn light brown and the sweet potatoes have picked up a little color.
- Add 3/4 cup of water the salt, ginger, raisins cayenne, and sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low,cover, and cook gently for 7 to 9 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- There should be almost no liquid left in the pan, except for a little oil (if there is, uncover and boil the liquid off). Serve hot.
another beautifulr recipe...great served with a vegan butter like earth balance